Monday, August 19, 2013

An average weekend for Team Dave's

This weekend, nothing hugely amazing happened. It was just a quiet weekend at and around the Nuthaus. What does that look like? Like this:

Friday afternoon, James got off work at a decent hour and came home, still full from the lunch we'd had at Flying Saucer (a shop). We all snacked around for dinner and were working on various projects, then after the sun started to set, we all went to walk some errands.

First, we went to Tyler's on the Drag to see if we could find a new pair of flip-flops for Daphne. She didn't like anything that was available and in her size, so we continued our journey up to Wheatsville Food Co-op to get coffee for James and to pick up some Dr. Bonner's Magic Organic Peppermint Hair Creme. I'd wanted it because it's a leave-in conditioner that pretty much smells like candy canes, but realized when I read the label that it's also for "light styling." Since my hair hasn't been holding curl well but I've been hesitant to use straight-up gel or hair spray or mousse or other potentially sticky hair product, I was interested to see how this would play out.

On the way back, we also stopped at CVS for some stuff, then walked home, totally forgetting, as we passed campus, that it was the night for free telescope viewing. Oh well. Saturday, it was going to be happening, too.

Saturday, Daphne was supposed to go to a friend's house, but her friend got sick. Instead, we all got a slow start then went out to lunch (a shop) at The Third Base. We brought James home after that and Daphne and I went to: 1) Half Price Books to sell another box of James' stuff. 2) Bed, Bath, and Beyond to use a 20% off coupon... I was planning to get a CO2 charger for the Soda Stream, but they're double at BBB what they cost at Breed and Company, so I ended up just getting two more bottles, since ours "expire" in January. Also, we found Diet Dr. Pete there, and Breed and Co. hasn't had that for weeks, and maybe even months. Daphne got creme soda, and I also got a diet Mt. Dew knock-off, which I hadn't seen before! Woo hoo! 3) Khols, to use a "$10 off of any $30 purchase in intimate apparel" coupon. We did, but we realized that we really need to buy a tape measure because the hit-or-miss trying on of foundational garments, especially the weekend before school starts when there is a line for the fitting rooms, is not a fun task. I did find two pair of shorts that were on major sale, and though the receipt said I saved over $80 when I spent just under $80, I'm 100% certain that we did not purchase $160 worth of clothes.

By the time we headed home, I was so ready. I used to love getting out and running errands with Daphne when she was tiny, but I think we've both changed a lot. Also, we both just really love the Nuthaus and love being here.

That night, we had family movie night, and watched a 1987 film James recommended that I'd somehow missed called "Hiding Out," which featured the amazing Jon Cryer of "Ducky" fame (I don't acknowledge his more recent, and surely lucrative, work).

Once again, after that movie, I looked at my phone and had received a notice for the telescope viewing at UT. We'd missed it again!

Sunday, D and I went to church, then came home and she was ready to play online with her friends since we'd had such a busy run-around day on Saturday. James and I went to a different Third Base for lunch (a job) and enjoyed a nice, quiet meal with the place almost to ourselves. We watched motorcycle racing and talked through some domestic things. I love having a partner with whom I can share things and get feedback and we can actually say true things that are a little "owie" and still be extremely affirming and loving.

The afternoon was awesome. Daphne used up all of her computer time while James and I read and then napped. Then I finished writing a radio-drama-style script I'd been working on. It was pretty cool... I'd informally committed to writing this, and just had a skeleton of an idea. I'd started on it last weekend, determined to write, even if I didn't know where it was going. Then yesterday morning in the shower, I had a nugget of an idea that forced me to go back and change part of what I'd already written to make it work, but then the rest of the script pretty much wrote itself.

Last night ended with all three of us lying on the bed, reading together. Then two of us kind of fell asleep, but I won't narc on those people specifically.

So, that's it. No major adventures, no changing the world. Just a nice weekend to regroup and relax, and now we're ready to hit the world again. :) It's fun watching all of the "first day of school" pictures scroll through my Facebook feed today. It's 8:20 and Daphne is still in bed, though I have a longer list for her on the "to do" board than I have since she's been back from her dad's.

We've structured school a little differently, now that she's getting older. I've always walked the border between unschooling and some structured stuff, but now I'm loosening the reigns even more. She does have a page of math (either algebra or general math, she can choose) to do because math skills are worth developing and she wouldn't do it on her own. But then the rest of the day is pretty nebulous. Her computer time is limited (read: it shuts down) to three hours. Then she has some Khan Academy, laundry, making cookies, and she has to create something whether it's writing, drawing, or building... just producing something. Tomorrow, she might work on computer programming. She's been trying to figure out how to install a very stubborn Minecraft mod on her computer, and has come to the conclusion that the .jar file is corrupted. These are important life skills, even if, for now, she's "just" trying to play a game.

James just went back to bed for a short nap before work. I think it's probably good that none of us has to get up and ready for the first day of school! Now it's time for me to work! (And, yes, I'm still in my pajamas.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!