Tuesday, September 3, 2013

My Best Friend

It's taken me a while to get this all settled, but it's finally happened: I have the world's greatest best friend, and he happens to live with me... AND that will be true forever. I cannot even describe what that's like, coming off of four decades of wanting this exact thing, and finally getting it. It's incredible.

My best friend might not be perfect, but he is absolutely perfect for me. He knows just how to be with me when I am experiencing big emotions. He doesn't ask, "What's wrong?" or force me to name feelings I don't recognize yet. Also, he doesn't run away. He sits with me. He is patient. He is quiet. He waits. And eventually, I am able to pinpoint what I'm feeling, and then I want to tell him. I want to share everything with him. Even though it's sometimes silly or baseless or overwhelming or just wrong, he wants to know.

He never makes me feel like I'm broken for the things that I think or the feelings that I have. He might be flummoxed. He might disagree. He might even offer me an opposite viewpoint. But then he puts his arms around me and assures me that we are a team and that I am loved and that he is mine.

Sometimes, I am concerned that the cost is too high; that I am exhausting and eventually he will tire and I will lose him, even if not physically... that he will just spiritually drift away, and I'll be all alone again. But then, the way he looks at me... I know that this is real and this is forever and, God bless him, he feels like he's getting something out of this, too.

I hope that he is. Lord knows that I love him more than I love my own life, and I would do anything to help him, to please him, to serve him. I try every day. And I do it happily. It is an honor. I am so fortunate to have the greatest friend ever right here, that nothing feels like a chore. It all just feels like happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!