Thursday, May 1, 2014

Team Dave's Road Trip Mini-Update 4.5 - Miscellany

So, we've talked about the stuff we've done and enjoyed on our trip. Now for some real life that's maybe not so much fun or interesting, but is definitely a part of the vacation experience, anyway.

The Astro has cruise control, but it doesn't work. Driving from about 500 feet above sea level to over 6000 feet above sea level at 75 miles per hour is a lot of right leg work in a high-profile van. Also, because of the wind, most of the drive up was a battle. The passenger side door doesn't seem to seal all the way, which we don't notice in Austin because there are hills and wind breaks that aren't out in west Texas. At one point, north of Amarillo, it was getting so bad that it felt like it was grabbing the van and hurling it. I pulled over to see if I could shut the door more securely from the outside, but could barely OPEN my door because of the winds. It was intense. It didn't make much difference, so I just had to hang on with both hands and we all had to deal with the noise of air streaming in through wherever the crack is.

Obviously, the altitude takes a couple of days' acclimation. Last night, James and I ran a couple of blocks without too much trouble, but the first day, just walking up stairs would wind us.

James having lived here before and Daphne's and my having lived in Las Vegas, we've experienced dry air before, but now we're not used to it. We've all had dry sinuses and the ensuing busted nasal capillaries... you know what I'm saying. Daphne's had it the worst. Last night, she was awake a good deal of the time (or not awake, and blowing her nose in her sleep) trying to breathe. Her throat is sore, her tonsils are swollen, and this morning we spent more than $20 on nasal moisturizer/decongestant and Ricola cough drops from the hotel shop.

Also, originally, when I started looking a couple of weeks ago, the highs here were supposed to be in the mid-60s. That quickly changed to mid- to low-50s. We brought coats and were prepared, but I'm very uncomfortable in the cold right now, and I am basically running from door to door. We were blessed by sun and being in a wind-sheltered valley at most of Garden of the Gods, but otherwise, I've had to appreciate the gorgeous Colorado landscape from inside. My face is wind-chapped; I am actually putting lotion on it, and that's saying a lot since I tend toward oily skin and typically don't like to put any product, especially moisturizer, on.

Then, of course, there's the reality of traveling with a pre-teen who really appreciates her online time to chat with friends and the like. And that's all I have to say about that.

None of this to complain, of course. It's just that since I'm posting the fun, I thought I'd show you the keepin' it real, too.

Finally, we've had three different showers on this trip. The KOA shower took a long time to heat up, but once it did, it was gloriously scalding. My skin was pink from enjoying it for quite a while. The pressure was even, pretty much perfect.

The shower at the lodge was ridiculous. It wasn't that it was low-pressure, per se. It had like six or seven very thin, very pointy-feeling streams of water jetting out from around the edges of the shower head and pointing randomly at places that were not where one typically stands in the shower, except that if I leaned over to adjust the water temperature, a couple of streams would poke me in the eye or try to shear my shoulder off. There was allegedly (according to James) a substantial enough stream right in the middle, but I never could get it to feel like much more than someone shooting a water gun (one of those little plastic ones; not a Super-Soaker) at my hair. this doesn't bode well for rinsing shampoo, especially as the water felt pretty soft.

The Westin shower is incredible. It is a rain-down shower head, but they also have an attachment in case you want to spray anything that's not easily accessible to straight-down water (like, say, your armpits; fortunately, mine do not require maintenance as they are self-cleaning and smell like roses). The water takes a bit to respond to changes in tap settings, but is plenty hot and the pressure is even. The soap is shaped like a leaf, and their shampoo and conditioner is super high quality. They also have a bathrobe available for use. Yes, I did.

The only drawback of staying somewhere vaguely hoity-toity like this (thanks, Hotwire!) is that EVERYTHING cost extra. This is the first more upscale place where I haven't had to pay for parking, but we are having to shell out $11 a day for internet. The 20 ounce soda I bought yesterday was $2.90; I bought one for $1.50 at the KOA. The breakfast burritos in their hotel restaurant are $12 ($19 if you order them through room service), and the fruit parfait I got Daphne at the hotel Starbucks this morning was $6.50.

Fortunately, we're on vacation so we have budgeted for "extras," but it's still crazy how you can get free continental breakfast and wi-fi at the Super 8. There is an indoor pool here; we haven't used it yet, but might tonight. The humidity would likely feel GREAT.

We took it slow this morning, and are just about ready to head out to see where James used to live. Tuesday's Focus on the Family was for Daphne; yesterday's Hammonds tour was for me; and this afternoon is for James. Tomorrow is for nobody, as we drive. And drive. Aaaand drive (after we pick up my phone). But, you know what? We're a pretty cool team; I bet we'll manage to have fun, anyway.

Oh, we listened to the audiobook to "Holes" (Daphne's and my pick) on the way up, and have started "Summer Knight" (James') so will probably be able to finish that up between today's route and tomorrow's straight shot southeast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!