Thursday, November 28, 2019

Black Friday... but first, Thanksgiving!

Okay, okay... we bit. There are a couple of "Black Friday" deals that we just had to move on.

The first is an iPad for Mal. It went on sale last night at 9 PM... it had been $329 until then, and that's still a pretty good price for a brand new iPad. Mal has a 3rd gen tablet now (they're on to the 7th gen at present) because I hadn't wanted to pay full price when we didn't know if he'd like it. We moved on to iPad after Mal got into games that were just killing his $40 Kindle. But now, there are a lot of games he loves, like Sonic Forces, that just aren't compatible with an older iPad. So when we saw they were going to be on sale for $250 last night, we knew now was the time! That's about $100 more than I paid for the older refurb, and it should run everything he wants to play. I just have to get an app to move his game data over. That sound like fun, right?

The other thing we got was a Ninja Foodi Air Fryer Oven. It's basically like a big toaster oven. And it's usually around $250, but was on sale for $229. Then it was even lower for Black Friday (I mean, I bought it Monday... the Monday BEFORE Cyber Monday; I don't question the timing on the savings.), with something like 20% off at Kohl's. Anyway, we got it for $152 AND we got $45 Kohl's Cash to spend next week, so it is almost like we got it for just over $100. D won't use our toaster oven because it is old and smoky. This thing is allegedly easy to clean, and can cook a batch of cookies or a 13-inch pizza. We'd been eyeing the June Oven when it was in pre-release, but it's still $500-700, and that's a lot to spend on a countertop cooker. So I'm super excited about this one!

Now we don't have to do ANYTHING tomorrow, except go pick up the Panda Express I ordered for lunch. We got a 20% off coupon from them on a family feast, and that sounded like it would probably be a welcomed change after Thanksgiving lunch and associated left-overs.

We're going to my parents' for Thanksgiving lunch in a bit. Right now, my guys are still asleep. We're taking some stuff for the younger kids to do (magnets, marble maze, etc.) as well as three dishes made with sweet potatoes: Chocolate cake (the batter was good; the icing was a little meh so I added powdered sugar), savory sweet potato mash with Morningstar Farms "bacon" and Swiss cheese (DELICIOUS!), and sweet potato mac and cheese (D taste-tested this one and pronounced it "so good" accompanied by rapturous eye-roll).

Those dishes are my passive-aggressive way of addressing two things: 1) Sweet potatoes deserve better treatment than marshmallows and cinnamon. (Cinnamon alone is fine; with salt.) 2) Sweet potatoes are GOOD (that one's for my husband). Basically, family love and all that. I mean, I like providing delicious treats everyone will love, too. I think even the kids can appreciate the macaroni (technically pennette) dish; the other might be a little much but if so, I'll gladly polish it off!

James worked from home yesterday, and I got done with my T-day prep pretty early, so we went down to Mozart Coffee Roasters to see their annual holiday light show.


It was a nice evening, and we enjoyed it. The last time we went, Mal was a year old and not feeling well. I think the finale that year was "Let It Go." This year, it was... "Baby Shark." Mal said, "That's not a Christmas song! But most of the kids were singing and dancing along, so it worked.

We need to leave in about and hour and a half, so it's time to get ready and start putting things in the car so I don't forget anything! Happy holidays, weird-os

ALSO... if you leave a comment, know that we read them all. For whatever reason, I can't leave or respond to comments. James can. Not sure what the deal is, but my email address is my first name dot last name at hotmail dot com, and you're welcome to email me any time! I'm going to add that to the comments area so everyone will know. Thanks for being here!

1 comment:

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!