Thursday, October 10, 2013

Review: Trader Joe's PB&J Milk Chocolate Bar

As you know, if you have been paying any attention whatsoever, I really like chocolate. I like it by itself, and I like it when imaginative people put fun things in it.

A year and a half ago, I did a review of Patric Chocolate's PBJ OMG bar. Whereas it has a hint of "jelly" in the fruity tones of the chocolate, this bar - 


- actually contains a jelly of sorts. According to the ingredient list, it's raspberry juice, raspberry flavor, and some sugars.


The bar is sectioned off; there are 6 portions, so you could eat the bar in different sittings, if that's how you roll. When we're talking breakfast, that is *not* my M.O.


The center has a strip of peanut butter and some gooey raspberry liquid. While the bar is certainly superior to, say, Palmer candy or other cheap-o chocolate imitators, it's basically just a milk chocolate bar, on par with more recent innovative grocery store chocolate.

The milk chocolate *is* made with cocoa butter and real vanilla; there is even extra cocoa butter in the filling. But it's too sweet to work with the jelly. It would have a more interesting flavor profile if the chocolate were darker.

Additionally, the jelly is so extremely sweet (and I'm a "there's no such thing as 'too sweet'" gal), it overwhelms the peanut butter. It might as well just be a raspberry-filled chocolate bar.

It's tasty, but I probably wouldn't seek it out again unless it were on sale, the same way I do with other "grocery store" chocolate bars. Although I loved the idea of having actual peanut butter and jelly in the chocolate bar, I would choose Patric Chocolate's PBJ OMG bar in the future. It is definitely more balanced and flavorful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!