Saturday, November 2, 2013

ENFJ, but only barely

The other day, a friend posted a link to a very simplified version of the Myers-Briggs personality assessment that I suppose I've taken about half a dozen times in my life, but about which I care almost not at all. Last year, when James and I started dating, he encouraged me to take one just, I'm sure, so he'd have some idea with what he was dealing, precisely.

I don't remember what I scored on most of the test and, honestly, I'd be willing to be that the answers, and therefore my personality, change over time. But what I do remember is that I was one point away from being in introvert. The test I took the other day came up with: "You have marginal or no preference of Extraversion over Introversion (1%)." (And, yeah, I tend to spell extroversion with an "o" but they're both correct, and the "a" might actually be more precise.)

Introversion/extroversion is interesting to me. James is a classic introvert. I am a barely-across-the-border extrovert. James is a lot less shy than I am in terms of talking to strangers, drawing attention to himself by being rambunctious. It has taken me several years to realize that "shy" and "introvert" aren't the same thing. I know some shy introverts. I know some shy extroverts. I would consider myself shy, mostly, in certain situations... Wait. Maybe that's "awkward." I'm definitely that.

I don't particularly like crowds. In fact, large impersonal crowds like at the mall or in amusement parks absolutely send me rushing to the nearest exit. I don't mind staying home for days in a row, either. I don't "need" to be around people to recharge, although I like being around *my* people. Conveniently, they live with me. I don't need to be out and about, and if I'm away from home too long, I'm super ready to get back here and be quiet. But I can also spend all weekend hanging out with friends and family, or spend all day hanging out with friends and that's fine. I guess it's running around that I don't love.

Yes, I majored in theater. And there's almost nothing I love better than acting, unless it's writing. However, I typically won't choose to be the center of attention in a group if it just happens organically. I don't mind people staring at me in the context of being on stage, acting or speaking to a crowd. But I don't "show off." I don't burst into song. I don't quote movies in character or do accents... except for myself or my family.

Hopefully, this would never be needed by anyone associated to me:

(I don't think I ever practice lines out loud when anyone else is around.)

So... since I straddle the line between introvert and extrovert, what does that make me? Average? Normal??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!