Sunday, March 23, 2014

Early second trimester doldrums

It's not this way for everyone, but for me, this is the least... well, I'd say "enjoyable," but I didn't enjoy the first trimester, strictly-speaking. It's just a time in pregnancy that's super boring. On the one hand, yea! I feel better! I'm still sleepy, but not woozy/borderline nauseous most of the time. (I didn't get nearly as sick this time as I did with Daphne, probably largely because my progesterone is old and under-performing; but even with D, as sick as I felt, I never actually lost it, if you know what I'm sayin'.)

However, I'm a big girl, and while some people at this stage are already having to sport the maternity wear, I'm not. In fact, I'm probably down about 8 pounds. This happened with D, too. The whole first trimester nausea means I eat less (plus, I was probably sleeping about 1/3 of the time I'd usually be eating), and since we live where we do and I'm almost totally car-free, I'm making it a point to get as much natural exercise as I can.

So, here I am, not really "feeling" pregnant. Sleepy, but that could just as well be from the reduction (modest, not total) of caffeine intake. And I don't "look" pregnant. In fact, some of the stuff that was a little tight last summer fits beautifully now.

To be honest, if James squeezes me enthusiastically, I *do* feel a little owie that I don't typically. And I get winded after eating a lot of food. But other than that, it's just a big old thumb-twiddling time until I can utilize my super cute maternity clothes, or really have any proof that I'm carrying a baby at all.

My next midwife appointment is Wednesday morning, and I'm looking forward to that, just because not feeling pregnant is weird when you're... pregnant. So I would like to hear the heartbeat.

James and I have talked about finding out the gender of the baby, and he doesn't really want to know. We will definitely get one more ultrasound to rule out (or rule in, and prepare for) some genetic anomalies, but might hold off until it's born.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!