Monday, October 19, 2015

"I hear the secrets that you keep..."

My husband warned me early in our relationship that he talks in his sleep, often responding to questions, and apparently often without a filter. He said he had a girlfriend who used to pump him for info when he was dozing off, then she'd get mad about his answers.

There have been many times he's said things that made zero sense when seeming to wake up in the middle of the night. But last night's was the winner so far.

As a follow-up to my previous post, the HDMI adapter I'd ordered was the wrong one (we needed a pass-through and somehow I'd mistakenly ordered a cable with two male ends, so... grrr), so I knew that I was going to have to go to Best Buy to pick up the actual thing, plus I'd wasted two orders to Prime Now on things we didn't need, PLUS Mal was waking up every 20 minutes, which he continued to do most of the night, with some longer stretches in the 2-4 AM timeframe.

Anyway, I was pretty discouraged and cried a little for my poor naive self who thought she'd get to lounge lazily after a good night's sleep.

A couple of hours later, James came to bed. He fell asleep and was snoring, then seemed to wake the next time Mal woke up and I had to readjust (moving a nearly-30-pound kid from one side of me to the other is an increasingly difficult work-out; also, now that we can use covers, it's staticky and binding). I had just started to doze off but hadn't fallen to sleep despite having been in bed for nearly three hours.

Once again, I gave into pity and said, "This is the 11th time he's woken up, and I haven't gotten to sleep yet. I am going to go crazy."

To which James replied, "The first stage is to figure out why I haven't been able to go to sleep."

"Excuse me?"

"Stage One is to figure out why I haven't been able to get to sleep."

I'm laughing as I write that, because it's so out of character for my husband. And I realized, of course, that he *was* asleep when he was talking. My brain said, "I'm sorry, Snory McSnortface, but I'm pretty sure you HAVE been asleep, and thanks ever so much for the compassion."

So... is this just a case of his having zero filter when he's sleeping and that's really how he feels about my whining? Hmm... It had the desired effect, if so. I didn't say a word the rest of the night, and I barely got any sleep. But it ended up okay.

Mal and I got out this morning to get the adapter, and we even stopped by to look at some pumpkins, but I need another hand with me to manage the kid and some big squash. Anyway, rest assured that Daphne is still having issues with the tablet, so it's a work in progress. James is safely at work, no bruises or anything. And I'm clearly choosing to do something other than sleep when the baby sleeps, so I must not be dying.

My two favorite guys, even if one makes me lose sleep and the other is indifferent about it. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!