Monday, October 12, 2015

Review: Clinique All In One Colour Palette for Women

Um, I'm not sure why this is "for women." I just noticed that. Anyway, I'm sure if you're a dude and you need some makeup, this review will work for you, too. Read on, pretty gents...

I have to make a confession to you: Over the past three years, my "beauty regime" (which has never been terribly high maintenance) has degenerated a lot.

First of all, I moved to Austin. Where it's almost always warm and more nearly almost always humid. Ten minutes outside, and that gorgeous hair style of mine is flat. I have naturally straight hair, and here in Austin, it defaults to that as soon as I leave climate control.

Secondly, soon after that, my honey moved to Austin. He's super affectionate. I like that about him! However, I also used to like deep, dramatic colors of lipstick. But I got tired of wiping hot pink smears off of James' face before he went to work, so I dialed that back a bit, too.

Finally, I had a baby. Oh my goodness. I have hot-rolled my hair four times in the past year, and forget about the perfect little ringlets I used to create with my ceramic "wand." I won't get to use that until my one-year-old is out of the house, most likely. If you ever see me with curly-ish hair, it's because every other night, after I wash my hair (I'm totally a morning shower person, but, again, the baby changes things, and nighttime is apparently the right time for my all-over hygiene at this point), I put on a headband and wrap my hair around it overnight.

Oh, speaking of that: Since I had Mal, some - not all - of my hair has developed waves. Not pretty waves. Not waves that I can wash and wear and look like I maybe did something with my hair. No. These are located in the back of my head, a swath about three inches across and four inches deep. Just enough to look like maybe I slept on a crow bar or haven't run a brush through my hair yet. Yeah. Yay, hormones.

Anyhoo, my point: I was tired of my big old make-up bag taking up real estate in my purse. I don't use much makeup and I wanted all of it in one compact, if that wasn't too much to ask. Apparently it wasn't.

I went to Facebook to look for suggestions, and my friends had many. I ended up getting the above-referenced Clinique product, for just under $60.

It's tiny! I love that!



The top has a travel-sized mascara (good, because I rarely use it... makes my eyes itch, even the hypoallergenic kind), five lip colors and an awesome retractable brush, four eye colors and a brush/sponge thing.


The bottom is powder with a sponge, and blush with a brush. I can use the top as a mirror if I need to. Until it inevitably gets dirty.


All of it in its glory.

Okay, so first we're going to post a picture of me with a freshly-washed face. No make-up. Oh, but what I like about the picture is that you can see where the hair I lost after I had Mal is growing back... actually, maybe more so in the second picture. Anyway, my hair is pulled back in the aforementioned head band wrap thing, and I had put a bandana over it because I was running errands earlier that day.



Okay for 43, right? Well, anyway. I don't do super dramatic makeup, so I was happy with the results.



Still me, baby fringe more pronounced, and just a little more polished. Later in the day, I went a bit more dramatic (little little) because we were going out to dinner. Here is that picture.


Basically, just a darker lip gloss and a touch more mascara.

Now side by side so you can compare.


Do you see why I'll never cut my hair short?

Anyway, I'm pleased with the bit of polish this gives my look without taking up a lot of room. My one question is: Will each piece last long enough to make this worth nearly sixty bucks? Like, if the powder broke apart tomorrow, I'd be pretty disappointed. So check back! I'll let you know... As long as it "wears" evenly, I'll be pretty jazzed about the whole thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!