Monday, May 9, 2022

Lollipop buddies

Once again, I got to spend some time with Kona and Mal last week, and they were a hoot, as usual.

 

In this picture (yes, I need to have my car's headliner reattached), Kona had just taken a selfie of her and Mal, and was asking him how to spell "lollipop buddies" as a caption for the photo. I was super impressed that Mal was able to spell it slowly, aloud, without seeing it in writing. 

We were taking Kona home, but I had to run by Trader Joe's first. I didn't hear the conversation leading up to it, but when we got out at the store, Kona was saying, "You know how sometimes you don't want to talk to a friend about your best friend because you don't want to hurt their feelings?" Mal said, "Yeah. But who IS your best friend?" Kona kind of smiled and looked at me, then Mal. Mal, full of the unearned confidence endemic to white guys, said, "I know it's me. I see how you looked at me." Read the room, dude. Fortunately, he was distracted by a guitar and Kona was out of the hot seat.

The last time Mal was at Kona's house, she recorded him for 23 minutes while he sang through every song he knows from the Encanto soundtrack. Kona's mom said that as soon as they were finished making the video, Kona asked, "Can we watch it now?" That's a good friend, even if it's not a best friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!