Thursday, January 16, 2014

Blehh

It's only 8:41 AM and I already feel like I need a nap. When I woke up, I could tell that my blood sugar was low, but there is no way I can chew food right now. Fortunately, last night I'd had the foresight to juice a pound of carrots, an apple, and some grapes. I was able to enjoy thoroughly my "sunrise punch" and just writing about the possibility of eating food is making me gag. This is a first for this pregnancy. I never got to this point with the last one. This kind of "no food sounds good" is how I knew I was expecting with Daphne... because otherwise, I can *always* eat.
Today, I'm going in for a third blood test at noon. So far, the two tests (one for hgc and one for hgc and progesterone) have been "within expected limits" and since my symptoms are getting worse, I would expect this trend to continue.
In a few weeks, we'll schedule an ultrasound and genetic testing. Because of my age, pretty much any midwifery is going to insist that I have genetic testing to rule out a high risk delivery from that angle. I'll talk to April about it today, but yesterday as we were texting, she also suggested an OB profile... which sounds mostly like testing for my own glucose levels, cholesterol, etc. And since those are typically spot on for me, I'm not sure I am interested. Will get more information about it and talk it over with James.
Thinking about the genetic testing is something that has freaked me out more than a little bit. I'm 41. James is 42. Either parent being over 35, and your risk for certain things goes up: Down's Syndrome, Autism, etc. While it's scary enough to think of becoming a new parent at 42, thus having a child in the home until we're both 60 (at least), it's even scarier to think of being this age and then having a child that will never be able to live independently. When I consider the reality of this, it makes me feel like maybe we have been irresponsible.
Apparently, these worries are normal. I am so ready to be rid of them, though... so I am actually looking forward to the genetic testing. Praying it rules out things I can take off of my "plate of concern."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!