Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Mal and Mom Cruise -- Day 3 -- At Sea

This morning, I woke up a little earlier and actually got to get dressed before going on deck. Today’s sunrise was cloudy and gorgeous. I got to talk to a couple of people while we watched the sunrise. At some point, I looked at my watch and realized it was 7:30. I’d promised Mal that I would be back at the room by 7:15, so I hurried back. 

Mal slept a bit longer but woke up around 8, and we went to breakfast at the buffet with Nana and Pappy. Mal wanted to check back by the International Cafe to see if they had the chocolate mousse he’d had yesterday. They didn’t, but he got a doughnut and was pretty happy.


We went to the kids’ club at 9:50, but they weren’t open yet. They were supposed to be open at 9. We found a staff member and asked him about it… it was only 8:51! Apparently as we passed the Yucatán peninsula this morning, my watch reset to Cancun time, even though I didn’t have internet or cell service. I guess it just “knew” from GPS where we were. I reset my watch and turned off “automatic time set” and we “explored the ship” for an hour before trying again. 


While Mal was doing a scavenger hunt, I went to my parents’ room to visit. We did my mom’s hair and my nails (my first set of stickers started falling off yesterday). Now I’ve been in the room getting some things together and catching up on this. I’m going to get Mal and we’ll head up on deck for him to swim again. It’s time for me to try some of that famous Princess pizza, and my body is ready!


(Later)

Success! 


We were out by the pool for a couple of hours, while Mal swam and we watched the ice carving demonstration. The pizza was good! 


We came back to the room to rest for a while and get dressed after swimming. There was a kids’ club event in the piazza, which started at 2:30 PM. At about 1:50, I opened up my phone to see what the dinner menu looked like. The app said that the ship’s time was 3:01 and that the event was in progress!


After the weird time thing earlier in the morning, I was confused. If it had said it was 2:50 rather than 3:01, it would at least have made sense. But what the heck??


Mal and I got our shoes on and went out to look at the nearest display in the stairwell. I guess we could have looked on the television, now that I think about it. The display in the elevator bay said that it was 1:51. A man heard us talking and said he’d gotten some weird times in his app, too, so we just decided to go run around the ship for a bit. 


The family event was fun. They had face painting, glitter tattoos, a couple of games, and some arts and crafts. Mal made a ship out of modeling clay to enter into a contest. He played a game and won a sucker. And he made a button he can take home.


We got ready for and had a nice dinner, then Mal wanted to swim some more. He swam for a couple of hours, and we would have watched the water light show because we were in the vicinity, but the fountain seemed not to be functioning. They tried, and I could see the light show and hear the jets opening and closing, but… no water. Weird.


It’s looking like a bit over 5.5 miles and a couple dozen flights of stairs per day will be the norm. My watch has no idea how to handle tracking sleep on a ship. We’re near the stern, and I’ve always heard that you feel more of the ship’s “movement” at the stern of the ship. It’s not the rocking that’s been… interesting. It’s that it seems like I can feel the machinery running the ship from our room. It vibrates the bed, and because of that, my watch thinks I’m waking up every few minutes and getting no deep sleep. It had that I was awake almost 3 hours during the last night, which isn’t the case. Maybe Apple Watch should make a “cruise mode” to correct for that.


There are TONS more pictures in this photo album.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!