Friday, February 23, 2024

Mom and Mal Cruise -- Day 6 - Cozumel

Once again, I was awakened by the ship doing its thing. I was able to watch the ship dock from our balcony, which is facing the port; then I walked up on deck and saw both the moon set and the sun rise. I wish I’d had an adequate camera and the skill to take a good moon-set picture. It was GORGEOUS in person. Oh well. You’ll just have to believe me.

Mal woke up earlier than he usually does at home, but lay in bed and played on his computer for a while before getting up and dressed. We still made it down to the gangway by 8 AM and walked 5 miles in Cozumel, soaking in the sites, before it got too hot. I thought, anyway. As it turns out, it’s been overcast as the day has worn on, so it’s nice and cool (mid/high-70s?) with a breeze. 


We were going to walk into old town but realized after we’d gotten a couple of miles down the seawall that the map I’d printed out originated from the norther port than the one where we’re docked. Oops! Regardless, we saw people swimming with rays, pelicans hunting along the shore, lots and lots of electric motorcycles (yay, Cozumel!), beautiful trees and flowers, and we even got boxed into a sidewalk by the most giant, twisted tree trunk that had supplanted the concrete (and the street side had two rows of scooters packed in too close to navigate around). 


We bought one of those ornamental signs made up of up-cycled license plates. Or so I thought. When we got back, I really examined it and think only the two edges are actual license plates. The middle strips have letters painted on white metal with things like parking stickers rather than what you’d get from an official government entity. Oh well once again! At least I can be confident that it’s a hand-crafted one-of-a-kind item.


I saw a pharmacy where the sign said they had Advair Disks. Turned out that they didn’t, but their Ventolin was $10 or 3 for $25. Man! I didn’t bring that prescription because it’s old, but that stuff worked for me and my insurance stopped covering it. The Advair works but it’s still $84 with insurance! Eeep! 


When we got back to the ship, Mal and I each drank one of our two last canned sodas (I really brought them for him and promised to buy him a Diet Coke tomorrow if he’d let me have his) then he got a hankering for a doughnut. We walked half a mile to try to find one (yes, on the ship) but it was 10:45ish and everywhere we ended up was switching out to lunch. 


We went back to the room and I started watching “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” (Whitney Houston movie) while I gave myself a “manicure” from those Lily and Fox stickers. Mal did some Minecraft stuff, drew an accordion in a paint program, and performed “Polka Face” for me acapella.


He decided he was hungry around 12:45, so we went up to the pool deck to get him some pizza. Once we were there, he decided that he really wanted to swim… especially since it would be six minutes until his preferred flavor of pizza would be ready. A practical eternity. So we walked BACK to the room, he changed clothes, and we walked back to the pool, where he’s swimming now.


We’re going back to our cabin in about 20 minutes to meet Nana and Pappy and see if there are any dock-runners. Not hugely likely, but the potential for live entertainment, if there are any!


This might get updated later; it might not! You can figure out the rest of the story from these pictures over on Google!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!