Sunday, February 10, 2019

My New Green Deal

A few months ago, when we were preparing to leave McDonald's and come home, I took particular note of how much garbage was generated by one meal: the tray liner, the chicken nuggets box, the GoGurt tube, the ketchup packets (we try to use the ketchup dispenser, but it's more typically empty than not, and otherwise has a steady clientele of fruit flies), the French fry sleeve, plastic bag for the Happy Meal toy, the Happy Meal box, the juice box/milk bottle/soda cup, the box for whatever burger I get, and my cup, plus a lid and two straws. For 2 meals. They serve thousands of people per day, and we eat there a couple of times a week, at least.

When we first moved into our house, I almost ordered a second recycle bin because we were filling ours up within a couple of days after it was emptied (every two weeks instead of once per week, like regular trash). I realized that it slowed down somewhat after we stopped having so many deliveries for things like dining room chairs and other "new move-in" items like rugs and cabinets.

Still, we generate a lot of trash. We fill the recycle bin more often than the trash can, but have learned that only about 40% of our recycling is actually recycled; the rest ends up in landfills.

So I've been particularly struck by how often I run trash outside. Everything is in packaging, and when we order online, that packaging is usually in a shipping box. So it's a shipping box, usually some form of air-filled plastic shipping protector (bubble wrap, pillow things), the actual box, and then whatever the product is encased in inside. It's a lot. I think about which is better/worse for the environment: My driving into town to the store to buy things, or ordering it online where a truck that's going to be out here anyway brings it to me in an extra box that should, in a perfect system, be recycled. I don't know.

I did stop ordering from Walmart grocery when Instacart finally got out here, and one reason (which isn't price; Instacart is definitely more expensive) is that the way Walmart shops, almost every item is in a separate plastic bag. I save them and take them back to be recycled... but then, are they?

This is a very interesting video to watch, if you have the time:



One thing this doesn't address is that it DOES take some capital (money) on the front end to shop with almost no waste: glass and burlap containers aren't free; even if they pay for themselves in the long run, or it's just a principle you find important, you do have to have the cash up front to start the system. We could do it, but it would involve my driving... well, not only a lot further than our local grocery stores, but at all because I usually have our groceries delivered.

Still, I want to make some changes, so what can I do?

The first thing is straws. I drink a lot of soda, and Mal prefers straws over drinking directly out of a cup, so we've had silicone straws for a long time. I've recently stopped getting straws with drinks when we're out, and just use the ones in my purse.

Also, I stopped ordering soda cans (which I love because they're always fresh) and went to 2-liters. THEN, I bought another Soda Stream to make our own sodas in reusable bottles. I had a Soda Stream years ago, but when I was pregnant with Mal, I COULD NOT STAND the taste of the drinks. We ended up giving it to a homeschool group that was starting a co-op.

Beyond that and just being super aware of our waste and trying to pick products with minimal packaging and/or paper instead of plastic packaging, I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm freaked out seeing the piles of garbage everywhere, though. What is the next step? Any ideas?

4 comments:

  1. We are looking at 2 small changes: bamboo straws and shampoo or conditioner bars instead of liquid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, I'll look into the bars, but I'm so picky about shampoo. I do buy the GIANT (expensive) bottles so I don't use as many, and neither James nor Mal use shampoo/conditioner at all. D goes through it, though. Do you have a brand in mind?

      Delete
  2. I've been thinking about how to make less trash for about 19 years now. Here's my latest advice round-up with a lot of links to details on how to make it work.

    I came to see if you were still writing after rereading your comment on my long-ago review of "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood" with link to your own criticism of the show. Glad to see you're still at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Those are all good ideas. I'm trying to work up the courage to buy that beeswax-coated cloth for wrapping food; I need to get over my initial squickiness at how it feels. And I don't know what to do about Amazon. I guess at some point I might just have to choose to pay more or to drive around to avoid all of the packaging that goes into some of what they send me. I did sign up for "Prime delivery day" so most of my things (which aren't time sensitive) will come on one day instead of sending the truck out here 4 times a week.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!