Friday, February 22, 2019

On the Other Hand...

In contrast to yesterday's weird exchange with a dad at the play place, the other night at Target, I had a totally different experience, but worth noting if only for the eye-rolling opportunity.

Mal and I were in the toy department, when I overheard a mom saying, "You already have a lot of toys. We're not buying something just to buy something."

Oh, goodness, lady, yes, I've been there. 

She went on, sharply, with disdain, "...and this is the girls' aisle. We're not buying any of these." Then she hurried her son to another aisle. 

Again, I was too dumb-founded, and it's really her choice as a mom how to handle that kind of thing, but WHAT THE HECK??

Target actually changed their toy labeling a few years ago to eliminate the "girl" and "boy" distinction. Now it's true that the aisles with toys very obviously marketed to girls are ablaze with pink and purple, but... what makes a toy a "girls' toy"?? It involves a kitchen? Glitter? Now, don't get me started on the edible make-up because NO ONE NEEDS THAT. But otherwise... why is that a designation that carries any weight?

Anyway, I'm sad kind of for that kid, but a lot for his mom. I can't imagine being so closed off to something that might bring your kid joy. *shrug*

Today, Mal and I went to Central Market while D was at an appointment (and we'll never do that during the noon hour again, because it was bonkers).

When we approached the bakery case, of course Mal noticed the cupcakes. There was one topped with three of those chalky candy Legos, and he asked if he could get it. It was huge and only $2.99, which is a bargain compared to the $5 minimum you can expect to pay for gourmet cupcakes around here. So I said yes. 

Then Mal noticed another cupcake that had sprinkles blanketing the icing. Did he want that one instead? Someone offered to help us. I asked him which he preferred. He saw one he liked even better: It had a sparkly sugar crown on top. "The crown one!" he pointed.

So I ordered it: "One princess cupcake, please."

Even though it's a "girls'" cupcake.


I think he's going to be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!