Friday, July 31, 2020

Billy Porter: a Memorial

My dearly beloved Uncle Bill passed away sometime in the early morning hours of July 24.

I'm very sad about this.

My family's really big about not picking favorites. I'm pretty happy that Mal seems to have completely accepted this idea: his favorite everything is "all of them."

Out of the different men my mom's sisters married, Uncle Bill was the one I most want to emulate. That doesn't make him my favorite, right?

Those Horn women all made great choices about their husbands. Sometimes it took a couple of tries to make a choice that was right for her.

That's OK. We all make mistakes. When a bad marriage leads to people as awesome as me and Khrys...well, could the marriage really have been all that bad? (Editor: Yes.)

I was in a submarine when I heard about the Murrah building bombing. At the time, all I knew was that Uncle Bill worked there and Momo lived nearby.

I spent another 2 months underwater before I found out anything about what happened.

Just thinking about it still makes me cry.

I learned that Uncle Bill's boss told him to go do something else that day.

And that Grandma, who was mostly deaf, still heard the explosion.

None of this does him justice.

I remember Khrys getting thrown off a horse, as a little kid.

I remember wishy-washy ideas about holding a horse's reins in both hands while adults laughed at my stupidity.

I'm very sad that Uncle Bill is gone. I really wish that it would be sensible to get the family together for his funeral.

1 comment:

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!