Tuesday, April 15, 2014

He's just not my type

Last weekend, James and I went to Whole Earth Provision Co. to look at hammocks. In trying to decide between a full-out "matrimonial" hammock or two hammock chairs, we decided to measure our back porch to see which would fit better.

When James got the tape measure, he also measured his office, which will eventually be the nursery, so we can plan how to fit the stuff we're going to need.

The resultant measurements throw into stark relief one of the fundamental differences between James and me. If I'd measured the "nursery," my output would have been a Post-It Note that said: 11'2" x 8'5". For the porch, I would have noted that we have about ten feet of usable length (sadly, we have to use some for storage because of the lack of indoor places to stow things).

Not James. James realized in his measuring adventures that his office/the nursery is not square, so the width at the front of the room is different than the width at the back. Here is what he presented to me.

There it is. The measurements we needed, along with other measurements he took because he was there, and that's the kind of thing he does. Also, this is in inches. Which means I have mentally to convert to feet, for some reason, because that's how my frame of reference works.

My point here is that James and I are just plain different. This kind of overwhelms my pea brain. But if I'd done the measuring, it's entirely possible that I would have purchased a chair that would have been too wide to fit through the door opening.

Now I can take this schematic shopping with me (still a couple of months down the road) and know exactly what I'm dealing with.

James and I were discussing earlier this week how our strengths happen to fall in very different places, and how brilliantly this is working out for us. We seem to have all of the important bases covered, and it all falls beautifully into place. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!