Tuesday, August 25, 2015

You Say It's Your Birthday...

Just so you'll know, you're all out of the running to be the first to wish me a happy birthday this year. That honor goes to my Las Vegas friend, Adrienne, who called me today because she knew we were in the neighborhood and couldn't remember the exact date (it's Sunday, the 30th; not the 31st, like some of you were thinking), but I was still super impressed because I haven't lived in Las Vegas in over a decade, and because I sure as heck don't remember when her birthday is. (But I love her very much and hope she knows it.)

Now, I will say... some people who also know that my birthday is coming up (and if what I'm about to say applies to you, know you're in good company... like probably half a dozen people) have asked me, "What do you have planned for your birthday?" or variations thereof.

Short answer: nothing.

I mean, it's Sunday, so we'll go to church. Daphne and I were planning to go see some pigeons, but the lady who has them never answered me as to whether that would work for them. We'll likely go out to eat, like we do every weekend. That's probably about it. A normal weekend.

Can I tell you something that says a lot more about me than it does about any one of these well-meaning people who are certain that someone as fabulous as I am must have ah-mayz-ing plans for celebrating?

It's difficult to answer that question truthfully without feeling like I'm apologizing for my family. First of all, I have a baby. Now I'm pretty sure in some cosmic way, he is glad that I was born, thus assuring his survival. But it's still way too early for that. Second, I have a teenager. Third, I married someone who a) doesn't plan stuff and b) thinks "special" occasions are stupid.

Again, we go out to eat pretty much every weekend, at least a couple of times. If I want anything, really, I get it. If I ask James about it, he looks at me like I have three heads and says, "Of course; get it." I don't need anything. I don't want anything. I'm good.

There's sometimes this insinuation that if someone doesn't do something really cool for me, then they're probably thoughtless.

And, of course, in the day of social media, there's a lot of pressure to have colorful photographic documentation of the day up so everyone can see how very cool I am, and how many friends I have, and how my family can party me up.

It's not going to happen.

By the way, you know how I mentioned that yesterday was #notbacktoschool "take over the media" day or whatever? Yeah. I didn't take or post one picture, except for the one of the walk to the mail box here on this blog. Other people made it a point go to river rafting or do bubble experiments or other very neat things that, frankly, I don't have the energy or ability to do right now. We had a nice day. That's good enough.

And it'll be good enough for my birthday.

But you can feel free to send me cards, candy, and cash. Or any combination thereof.

Thanks! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!