Thursday, January 7, 2021

Hopeless Case

We've lived in our house for four years now, and although our immediate surroundings are gorgeous, last week I decided that it's time to cross the scary, busy highway that divides my part of town in half, and go explore the other side of the neighborhood.

Mal went with me the first couple of times. We took streets I've only rarely even driven down, and saw a lot of neat houses, including one I've seen for sale on Redfin that has a play castle in the side yard. Mal even found this stash of "diorite" in the road (he's been playing a lot of Minecraft).

Also, yes, my son is six and he's still walking around in public wearing only underpants. I'd blame the pandemic, but that would be disingenuous. He just doesn't like to wear clothes. Anyway, on this walk, Mal walked a good 65-70% of it, which was super helpful on the inclines. Inclines are plentiful and much more pronounced on that side of the highway, as Hill Country does its thing as you get further from the lake.

After a couple of days of this, I found a pretty neat 3.4ish-mile trek that I knew I wanted to try without Malcolm the first time, since a small part of the path doesn't show up as passable on most maps. Here is the route. As you can see, it basically goes around the outside of the other side of town, at the top of a hill. I figured there would be pretty views!

(I didn't start/stop where it shows; I mapped it like this because of the blip there that isn't traversable according to maps.)

Well, I was right. It was gorgeous. Here are some of the views I had during the walk.




About an hour in, I looked at where I was on my phone's map. I hadn't plotted out my route because my phone is losing battery life, plus the route was fairly straightforward. I had thought that the whole circuit might take about an hour and 15 minutes, but could tell that I had a good hour left. I blamed it on the strong wind gusts that were blowing straight into my face as I hiked up, up, up, up. 

Also, I'd not checked the elevation and had believed that once I got to the top of the hill, I'd be up high until I started coming back down toward town. But there were plenty of dips like this one.


Down, down, down, then back up, up, up.

I passed all kinds of discouraging signs like this.


But I know that people who live around the Hollywood sign put up the same warning signs, even though the roads and trails absolutely are for public use.

So. Finally, I hit the place I was guessing was where the map indicated I couldn't get through. There were a bunch of logs piled up to keep cars from ploughing through.


The logs are at the bottom of the picture, and the road just goes away. Also, it's a steep decline down 70 feet. There was no way I was turning around, though. Here's what it looks like from the bottom.


I kept on, even though there were possible portents. 


Soon, I learned that it's impossible to distinguish an unpaved road from a wash when you're looking at Google Maps.

Finally, after two hours and some change, I got back home.

Unexpected hiking conditions notwithstanding, I was a bit humiliated that the walk took me that long.

Until I looked at the map again.

Up there is what I meant to do. This is what I actually did.


It was just under six miles. You can see the bright white road that would cut the route in half. I guess I just missed the turn. I'm going to try that shorter walk soon!

Anyway, when I was looking at the route to see the elevation changes, it varies, but overall there's a 400-foot+ gain from my house to the top of the hill. And I realized that the website I was using to look at elevations, Map My Walk, has a place to track walks. 

Earlier this year, I'd seen a neat Sesame Street virtual run for which you can sign up, and you get swag each time you reach a certain goal. Plus you get a t-shirt. But then I saw that it was $125, and decided it wasn't worth it.

But I had the idea that I could still track my progress just to see how many miles I might walk this year.

Fourth day, and I've realized that I can't. I get too obsessed with it. I'd already decided not to talk today, to give my blisters a chance to heal up a little bit. However, I decided that since the weather was nice and we are headed into some uncertain wintery times in February, I might as well enjoy it while it lasted. I just did a quick half hour.

Later, it was still so nice, I begged Mal to get out with me in his wagon. He declined. But what I recognized is that I didn't want to get out so much because I love it and I love taking Mal around, but because I wanted to log more distance. I don't want to get to that place again. So I'm just going to blithely walk and not pay attention to the miles. Because I DO love my neighborhood, and I do even love weird adventures where I end up in the middle of a nature preserve and don't see any sign of life for more than an hour. 

I can't ruin that with legalism. I'm just not doing that anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!