Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Eating (healthy) for two

I was so touched and saddened and blessed to be able to experience a high school friend's family's dealing with a recent anencephaly diagnosis and, several months later, delivery. I can't imagine the mourning process, dragged out like that, with all of the hormones, and other people's questions and input... and this sweet lady has handled it with unflinching faith and courage, while still being honest in her struggles. I admire her deeply.

My posting of a link of her and her husband with their sweet little girl prompted a response from another friend I have from the homeschool community who said that she, as well, had a boy with the same prognosis. As this was just around the time I was getting married, I thought I'd better start taking folic acid, just in case... even though pregnancy wasn't our plan.

When my test came out positive, I knew I'd been taking a hair and nails pill for some time (I had a few bottles of this stuff, but so did James, so there is probably plenty to get me through this first trimester!), but couldn't remember if I'd started before Tax Day (which we're going to tag as the approximate conception date, since we can't know for sure) or not.

However, when James and I were doing some research earlier, I found this list of foods high in folic acid. Fortunately, I have consumed a lot of avocado and spinach since moving into the Nuthaus, so hopefully we have the thing covered, anyway.

I tend to enjoy healthy foods, but will often eat garbage if I don't think about it. Right now, I am getting to a point where I can't put away as much as usual, so I'm trying to be prudent. This morning, I had a bowl of organic raisin oatmeal (prepared with our yummy raw milk) with James before he went to work. For lunch, I had tortilla chips and salsa, heavy on the salsa, and was wanting something else, but just could not make myself consume anything else. For dinner, I was planning tortilla pizzas and made fresh tortillas, the dough of which I, of course, sampled. Then for dinner proper, I had one of the pizzas (a tortilla, some tomato sauce seasoned with Italian herbs and garlic powder, and Texas-made cheddar cheese) and a spring mix salad with walnuts, dried cranberries, and feta cheese.

Daphne walked up with me to a job this evening, so I got almost 2 miles of walking in. I bought a Cinnabon Minibon from BK to go, and it's sitting here staring at me... but it's gonna be a no-go tonight. If only eating this little and this healthy were as easy when my body is being "normal."

Oh, and I expect my hair to grow out, long and luxurious, like it did last time, too! There *are* benefits to all of this, you know, and I'm looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!