Friday, May 17, 2013

On Being an Old Lady

It's graduation season. Many of my friends on Facebook, contemporaries of mine from various schools, are posting congratulations to their kids who are finishing up high school. I have more than a couple of friends who, in their early 40s, are already grandparents. And here I am, newly-wed and knocked up!

(My mom's going to cringe at that statement.)

This morning, I had to clean up some cat sick (you're welcome for sharing) and realized that, because of my back, sitting in the floor and bending over is difficult. I need to work on the Asian technique of squatting, because that's likely going to have to be my M.O. for diaper-changing, if my disc doesn't magically un-rupture, or dissolve, or whatever it is that it might do.

I'm a lot more laid back this time around, even with the injury and the age and the meds. I've done enough research to feel like everything is going to be fine. And so even though this wasn't planned, I'm excited. Even though, if all goes well, I'll be nearly 60 before this child leaves the home, I'm really honored to be able to give this experience to James, to share it with him.

The initial week of my knowing I was pregnant was so much more relaxed than my first. I have re-read my blog recently, and I was so nervous, worried about income and support. This time is so much more laid-back.

I have often said that I knew, 20 minutes after Daphne was born, that she would be my only. James is the absolutely ONLY man on this planet for whom I would change my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!