Thursday, December 3, 2015

Thoughts on Laura Ingraham's parenting story

I've decided that when I hear or read something that raises my hackles so that I feel like I have to address it or die, I'm going to do it here. And not share on social media. So if anyone cares and wants to read, they can. If not, I'm fine with that; I just need to get my ideas out of my head. I'll tag all of them with "response" if you want to click and read all of my "grrrr." I'm sure you don't. :)

I don't listen to talk radio, but the other day, Mal had been playing with the radio channels while we did time in the van waiting for him to be ready to get into his car seat. I was in the back seat and ended up listening to part of a call to the Laura Ingraham show. The caller was talking about how you have to love your kids, and in agreement, Laura told a story I'll paraphrase:

Last night, someone (husband? older kid?) had set up a tent city and my son wanted to sleep in it on the bean bag chair. The tent city is fine and all, but I told him "no" because I knew what would happen: He'd end up in my room at 1 AM, complaining about a crick in his neck. He was really upset, crying and going on and on about wanting to sleep on the bean bag, and I reminded him that Sunday is St. Nicholas Day, and he'd better straighten up if he wanted St. Nicholas to bring him something. Well, that got his attention. He calmed down, and I just gave him a hug and... whatever else she said.

Seriously? This is held up as a successful parenting moment? I have so many questions.

1) Why not? Seriously, why not? He'll wake you up at 1 and what? You can say, "I'm sorry your neck hurts. Let's get you to bed and situate the pillows to help him feel better. It takes, what, ten minutes away from your beauty sleep? Isn't it worth it for him to have an experience that will be different, and maybe he will even learn something?

2) If you're having to coerce your kid into behaving by making up some garbage story about how Santa isn't going to leave him something, what are you teaching him? Gifts are supposed to be free, no strings attached. You don't earn gifts or they'd be wages. Gifts are given from the good graces of the giver. This just makes St. Nicholas look like he's a disciplinarian in cahoots with the parents.

3) Anyway, your kid is disappointed. Can you let him work through that? Can you help him work through it? Maybe say, "I know it sounds like that'd be fun, but it's a school night and I think it's important that you get your best sleep tonight. Can we plan it for Friday night, when you don't have to be up early?" Something like that. And if you're not willing to do it at all, at least still let him voice his disappointment, and tell him genuinely that you're sorry.

Anyway, I think this is parenting at its laziest, frankly. Automatic no and using a third party as a henchman. Ugh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!