Sunday, January 26, 2020

Some Things Never Change

As we've mentioned ad infinitum in the past, I have a history of weight fluctuations, AKA yo-yo dieting, though the peaks and valleys have been so spaced out, it didn't feel so much like a yo-yo as a sloth climbing several mountains.

To review, here are some pictures from various times in my adult life, in chronological order:

1992, about my "normal" size.
After that, my first ex-husband indicated that I was fat and he'd never liked it but didn't say anything because he thought I wouldn't marry him (sadly, he was mistaken; my self-esteem wouldn't have let me walk away).

1993/1994

June 2001, a few months before D was born.
November 2002, just before my second ex-husband told me I was too fat.
November 2004, after I'd lost some weight and put some more weight back on.

October 2005, after I'd lost a lot more weight.
Basically, it's been about 15 years since the last time I seriously tried to lose weight. It "worked" and I kept the weight off for about 7ish years? But once I got bored with constantly working out (more and more as my metabolism slowed) and "being careful" with what I ate (read: bordering disordered eating behavior), weight started creeping back on. 

Here's what I look like now.

Well, in December 2019
Okay, that was fun. So what?

So, there are a lot of things people assume about health and weight that are garbage. I wanted first to demonstrate that I understand the concept of "calories in/calories out," working out, etc. blah blah blah. And I wanted to tell you several things that have been true whether I weighed 148 pounds (at 5'7") or... a lot more than that. I have basically not had scales for the past 15 years, and so except for when I've been pregnant, I've been blissfully unaware.

Anyway, no matter what I have weighed:

1) I drink copious amounts of diet soda. My mom made me a Diet Coke cake for my 16th birthday, so we can safely assume my passion goes back at least 31 years. #consistency

2) My blood pressure is low. I'm 47 years old, and a big person, and when I was discharged from the E/R a couple of weeks ago, my blood pressure was 106/68. It's usually around 112/70ish.

3) I love sweets. You can eat a lot of candy corn on a 1500-calorie-per-day diet, and it's fat free! (This is not health advice; I feel a little nauseated thinking about it, actually.)

4) I hate running.

5) I can walk from sun-up until sun-down. Very enjoyable. A 12-mile Disney day? Bring it on!

6) I eat a mostly vegetarian diet.

7) My body does what I want it to do.

8) I despise clothes-shopping.

9) I am worth the same amount. I wasn't worth more when I had less mass nor am I worth less with more mass. This is a ridiculous calculus that serves no one.

10) My actual "health" level has remained the same. When I was at my smallest, I was no "healthier" in terms of eating or exercise than I am at my largest. I can say this because I know what food goes into my gullet. When I was depriving myself of calories and fat, I made up for it by making those few calories things I'd LOVE, which wasn't always nutrient-rich, minimally-processed food. I eat more now, and that gives me room to eat nutritious food I love as well as things like pizza and ice cream. It isn't either/or. In that battle, I'm going to pick what I prefer to have every time... even if I look totes skinny doing it. You cannot tell what my personal habits are just by looking at how thick my upper arms might be. To think that you can is fatphobic.

11) I have asthma. I had asthma when I was running 5 miles a day (and, yeah, HATING every minute of it). Against all odds, I have asthma with a house full of cats, to which I am allergic. It's ponderous.

12) I eat carbs. Lots and lots of carbs. When I was at my skinniest, just after college, and DURING an actual eating/exercise disorder, I ate Little Caesar's Crazy Bread at least three days a week. I still love those things, though they're not quite the dietary staple they used to be.

13) I love cooking good, beautiful food. Let's end with that, and a few pictures of our home dinners. 

Roasted cauliflower risotto with a side salad.

Goat cheese veggie burger with arugula and cranberry sauce, side of roasted green beans.

Salad with broiled brie and roasted cauliflower.

Veggie "chicken" broccoli homemade hot pocket and feta salad.

Peanut stir fry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!