Monday, March 9, 2020

Will I Ever Figure It Out?

This last week, I had my parenting style laid bare by my older kid, and it was not the style I'd want people to think I have. But I don't doubt that was the impact, regardless of my intent.

It sucks to try as hard as you know how, to lose so much sleep and untold years in worry, only to find out that you still messed up and your kid suffers for it.

The only way out is up, though, so here we go...

In regards to the other child - This weekend, our library hosted a "teddy bear picnic." It was supposed to be at a park (not the one with the playground) but there were clouds in the sky so they decided to take it into the conference room at the library. It wasn't nearly as festive. It was a lot more boxed-in, but it was still cute. A lady known as Mother Nature told a story about bears and honey, then there was a craft. The kids could have "juice" (Capri Sun not-juice) and cookies. They gave out teddy bears.

There was an ice cream truck that was to arrive at noon, but at 11:44, after having been in the building for all of about 25 minutes, Mal said he was ready to go to the park (the one with the playground). He didn't care that there would be ice cream. He had to get out of that building with all of the kids and activity and noise.

It made me wonder: If we were planning to send him to kindergarten next fall, could he even handle it?

He can't stand prolonged, intense-focus activities that he did not originate. You would literally have to break his will to force it, and I wouldn't want to do that.

I don't have the answer, but, again, we soldier on in this never-ending adventure that is parenting...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!