Tuesday, May 26, 2020

What I Noticed...

A couple of observations from this weekend:

1) There were some things in place that were not "normal" pre-pandemic things. For instance, signing up for a pool slot, the fact that there was no on-site dining at the restaurant, the off-property restaurant we visited only had 4 tables inside the dining room, and a bunch separated from each other outside. People weren't bunching up at the park, even though it was very busy. However, as we packed up to leave Monday, it felt the most "normal" we've felt in a long time.

2) We did not have internet most of the time that we were there. They advertise free wifi, but living in RV parks taught me that it's more aspirational than realistic. We were able to access the internet very early in the morning when people were still asleep, but even then it was SLOW (I tested. It was 1.85 Mbps). And because we were kind of out, AND the park was so full, even our cellular data did not work well. I could text, but not see pictures that a friend sent me. I got notifications from Slack, but then couldn't see them. What this meant is that I also didn't watch YouTube or get news from anywhere. Whatever was happening in Washington DC felt like it was too distant to matter to our tiny little lives. It was glorious.

3) I can be a pretty patient parent when I don't have anything "better" to do than pay attention to my kid.

4) My feet don't threaten to swell when I'm not standing still several hours a day cooking and doing laundry.

5) I think we should move to a remote area in Colorado and pretend we're camping all of the time. I think we'd need a maid, though, so I could reap all of the benefits of numbers 3 and 4.

6) We absolutely are not ready to live in an RV. I've been thinking about it a lot lately, but that cabin had us pressed in way too close for comfort for every day life. And we didn't even bring James's two monitors or many of Mal's toys.



1 comment:

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!