Friday, October 9, 2020

Summer Camp Relationship

Yesterday, we spent the whole day just enjoying the resort. James did get out for a bit to acquire more caffeine-free diet soda because Mal ran out.

I woke up pretty early, took a shower, ate some breakfast on our patio...


...then I borrowed a bicycle to look around the resort. I saw a lot of deer, and a beautiful view of the Colorado River.


When I got back, James and Mal were awake. Mal had met a family the night before at the campfire where we were making s'mores and the kids were running around the lawn. They'd made plans to meet up at the Meet-the-Alpaca event in the morning. We went over, and were late enough that they were literally just hanging out waiting for us. It was glad I'd talked Mal into skipping the playground and heading straight over there. 

After the kids said "hi," we walked together back to the playground, and the kids played together for about an hour.

Mal tried twice to swim, but because it's overcast and got pretty cool the night before, the water was too chilly for him. We walked over to the river while James was out at the store. Then we mostly just hung out and played the rest of the day.

Every night, there are campfires and the resort "gives" you a s'mores kit (there's a $38 per night resort fee per room that covers that and the bikes and some other amenities) between 7 and 9, and the fires are on most of the night. 

Last night was a lot warmer than the previous evening, which had been bordering on chilly, and I could only handle roasting one marshmallow. Mal wanted to see if his friend was at the further campfire, so we walked over and the family wasn't there. We came back to the campfire area closer to our room, because James was in the room finishing up something he was doing and I wanted him to be able to easily find us. Mal told me, "I need to see my girlfriend. She's so beautiful."

I sat safely away from the warmth of the fire while Mal played Mario bad guys for me to defeat.

After a while, Mal wanted to walk back over to the other campfire to check for his friend again. We did, and when it was obvious that they weren't there, he just sat down on the lawn and started crying. He said, "She's my new best friend! I can't believe they're not here." We hugged and comforted him, and he asked, "Do you think she loves me, too?" 

We ended up laying down on the grass and watching stars and clouds. Eventually, we had to insist that it was time to go back to the room, but he was truly heart-broken.

There is a Meet-the-Horse thing in a few minutes, but Mal was awake so late last night that I don't think he'll be up for it. I might head over and see if the family happens to be there and give them our physical address in case the kids want to write each other or something. I've never seen Mal as sad about not getting to see a friend as he was last night. He has such a sweet little heart.

Now if we could just get that dang tooth out...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!