Yesterday, after our Tuesday library group disbanded, I wanted to walk down to the lake to see the water level, which is full for the first time in years. The kids had elected to stay at the library both hours because of the heat (we usually go to the park after), and Malcolm was not interested in going with me on my little jaunt.
I gave him the house keys, reminded him that our door is a little tricky to open, and gave him the secret move to make it work. I told him to text me when he got into the house (he only has an iPad so couldn't communicate with me until he was inside), and I walked down to the park.
| Nice! A picnic at the lake... rather IN the lake. |
After I looked around a bit, I contemplated walking to the far end of the park to check things out, but it had been long enough that Malcolm should have made it to the house. While it was possible that he'd forgotten to message me, I had a mental image of him lying on the day bed on the porch, being very hot and frustrated, so I decided to go on up the hill.
As I rounded the corner to our street, I saw our across-the-street neighbor walking from our driveway to her house. When I got home, I asked Malcolm if she'd unlocked the door, and he said yes.
Apparently, "[i]t wasn’t working and it was scorching out so I got [her] to help."
We're going to practice unlocking the door (something I've done with D but hadn't gotten around to yet with Malcolm) so he can do it on his own, but I was pretty pleased to know that he didn't just shut down and flail.
Today, he's supposed to go to a thing and has made sure several times that I will drop him off and not stay. I can't say I'm offended. I genuinely enjoy his growing independence.
He's saving up for various LEGO sets he wants, and has been doing jobs around the house, like dusting and picking up sticks in the yard before I mow. I'm going to really encourage him to try to find a job as soon as he can.
Super proud of my big kid!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!