This little idiot gots the diabetus.
We found out Wednesday and have been scrambling the rest of the week to get things ready to start him on insulin Monday.
YES, insulin. For our cat. Because other than the diabetes (technically super high blood and urine glucose), he's very healthy for a 17-year-old cat.
Initially, I was overwhelmed. First is finding an insulin dose that works. After that process (expensive because every 10 days we have to buy a new glucose monitor AND take him in to the vet to get it placed three times), he has to have two shots of insulin every day for the rest of his life.
Honestly, I can't do it. I can't commit to that. He could live 5-7 more years and I already have so much on my plate.
So D has stepped up and said they can manage his care, with me as a backup. James will do what he can, but his work schedule is so random and Rudy will needs shots at pretty much the same time every single day.
The last time Rudy went to the vet was about a year ago, and he had some kidney function issues, but those have actually improved (probably because of the copious amounts of water he's drinking). We took him in this time because he's going through the whole diabetic playbook: weight loss, extreme thirst, always being famished, sleeping all of the time (in all fairness, he has slept most of the time, anyway; but now he's lethargic even when he's awake).
We've already changed his food to a high-protein, low carb wet food. He and Aish both seemed to like it at first, but weren't thrilled with it this morning. I finally got Rudy to eat a full serving, but Aish wasn't desperate enough. We'll feed her the same as what we feed Rudy, for now, because it's a senior formula and not a prescription food for diabetes. The higher protein and lower carbs might help her keep muscle mass that Rudy seems to have lost.
D is getting all of the supplies today, Sunday will be a little break in the action, and then Monday morning we head to the vet for shot coaching. Whew, I'm already tired and we haven't even started. So grateful that D is taking point on this because otherwise, we'd just be doing the diet change and hoping for the best.
As I say with our trips: If our financial house of cards falls down, the couple thousand we're spending on this little adventure wouldn't have made the difference. Huzzah and happy weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!