Saturday, June 26, 2021

Pupdate!

Hey-o! Two weeks ago (June 13, 2021, to be precise), our whippet pup was born! Last Sunday, when the litter was about a week old, we got to pick the little dude. He's white with grey (maybe brindle) spots, and his name is Luke!

A cool thing about our breeder, Bwhippd, is that they have a live cam on the litter all of the time. We're getting to watch the babies squirm around and they are hilarious. I'll hear James laughing back in his office, and think he just read something funny... but it's just puppies being puppies. It's a nice pick-me-up.

Let me show you how much they've grown just in their second week of life! This first picture is from Sunday evening, and the second picture is from Saturday morning (two minutes ago).


Luke is the one with the blue collar. He's close to the bottom in both pictures. In the first, he's stretched out drinking some milk. In the bottom, he's up against the wall of the "nest." He definitely seems not to want to be in the middle of the crew thus far. I'm probably reading too much into it, but am hoping that bodes well for our crate/alone time training? (I'll rue saying this; I know I will.)

We will be able to pick Luke up sometime between August 9 and 15.

We have always rescued dogs before. Neither James nor I have ever bought a puppy, and have considered adoption a more ethical choice. Well, that was before we wanted to introduce a dog into a home with two extremely sensitive kids (neither of whom actually wants a dog) and three grumpy old cats who are set in their ways. In this instance, for a dog to have much of a chance to fit in with our extremely specific needs, we had to choose wisely, know the breed characteristics, and train it from the beginning. 

So, we're pretty excited to get everything else set up. I think we're mostly ready! I believe I'm going to make a video soon about the preparations. Is there anything you can think of that would be a must-have for a new puppy? I've literally never had a baby dog before!

                                                                            +++++++

At first, I started with this paragraph, then realized Blogger would make this the thumbnail picture, which I did not want to happen! So just FYI... You guys. I cannot even believe how many phone calls I've made in the past two or three weeks, trying to get plumbers and reconstruction folks just to come out to our house. I'm exhausted. But I'm not going to talk about that because...

So I decided to talk about YAY PUPPIES! Because that's what everyone wants to read about, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! We love to hear from you!